Sunday, June 1, 2008

An Open Mind

Term 2 is over! Ouf that was a super hectic one!

Since the last post with Beetle Grace, 2 more ebony black beetles have emerged. I asked Wes whether it was possible to tell the male from the female. Mmm - well we weren't able to distinguish one from the other. BUT... we knew mating was taking place - just some timely observation is enough for that!

What do you know? We located 3 little mealworms - about 1 cm long and 1 mm diameter and they are sooo cute! I bet by the time we go back to class in term 3, they would have grown tremendously - like 500% of their baby size.

I used to feel icky just thinking about beetles but having followed them through their metamorphosis, ahem ... I've developed some feelings for them. They shine beautifully like some semi precious stones and their feelers look segmented and dainty.

Thank you Wesley and the insect lovers in class for changing my mind. I like that.